As a former CIA employee, Wilson was required to submit her manuscript to the CIA screeners before she was allowed to publish it. They deemed quite a lot of her material classified or too sensitive to publish. This incensed Wilson,
Friday, March 30, 2012
Fair Game
I finally had a chance to read "Fair Game" by
Valerie Plame Wilson. She's the undercover CIA agent who was outed by the Bush Administration. In college I studied this case for its First Amendment freedom of the press issues. I even met jailed journalist Judith Miller at a conference. I appreciated learning Wilson's story and point of view, even if I didn't always agree with her assumptions.
As a former CIA employee, Wilson was required to submit her manuscript to the CIA screeners before she was allowed to publish it. They deemed quite a lot of her material classified or too sensitive to publish. This incensed Wilson,
since much of the material was already public knowledge. Instead of rewriting her manuscript, she chose instead to leave the redacted portions blacked out. Then she had a colleague write an afterword that fills in many of the gaps using previously published reports. Apparently the material could be in the book, as long as Wilson herself wasn't the one to write it.
As a former CIA employee, Wilson was required to submit her manuscript to the CIA screeners before she was allowed to publish it. They deemed quite a lot of her material classified or too sensitive to publish. This incensed Wilson,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment