I have found myself with some extra free time this month, so Chelsey and I decided to get out for a little outing and take in a San Diego State women's water polo match. I was excited, because I have been riding the trolley back and forth across San Diego, and every time I go through SDSU I think "there must be something interesting going on here that I could see if I got off." So this time we got off and went to see something interesting. We had fun, sitting on the pool deck and watching some good women's water polo. It was SDSU versus Cal Baptist from Riverside. Cal Baptist actually had an international roster, including two or three Canadians and a couple of Hungarians. The home team held on for the win, though, in what was their lowest-scoring game of the season: 4-2.
On our way to the match we saw a banner advertising that the NCAA championships are being held at San Diego State in May. We were excited about this tournament being in our figurative backyard. With no real professional women's water polo, this tournament is probably the third-best tournament in the world this year, after the Olympics and the World League. Our excitement was deflated when we got home and looked up the tickets: $25 a day or $65 for a three-day pass. This was a lot more than we were expecting for a nonrevenue sport, as the match we went to was free. So we'll see if we decide to spend the money to go. Most collegiate water polo is centered around California, so I imagine it will not be our last chance to go.
-Jason
No comments:
Post a Comment