I came back from my Carlsbad Marathon disappointment with another race in Carlsbad - this one the shorter, faster and more famous Carlsbad 5000. I've run this race a few times but never had a really good race here, including last year when I ran quite poorly. I was excited this year, however; since coming back from the marathon, I'd been doing some good workouts with my track club and had a pretty good idea of what I was capable of - and it looked to be quite a bit better than last year.
My main concern in that regard was getting caught in traffic at the start of the race and held off my pace. So I made sure to get near the front and get out fast. As it turned out, it was a little quicker than I had planned, and for a brief moment near the first mile marker I thought I might be ready to run even faster than I had been hoping. That was not to be, however, as I slowed down in the last two-thirds of the race. However, I didn't slow down that much; I more or less held on to the pace I had expected coming in. Consequently, I finished in 18:47, easily meeting my goal of under 19:00 and knocking over 2 minutes off of last year's time. That's pretty good in a 5km.
-Jason
No comments:
Post a Comment