Thursday, November 17, 2011

America's Cup

I read that they were having America's Cup races in San Diego harbor, so we went down to watch this afternoon. They weren't the big full-size boats from the regular competition. This was a series of head-to-head races and they were using smaller boats. We were able to walk out to the end of the pier to get a great view of the action. The course organizers even staged the event so that the boats had to do a turn-around about 100 feet off the end of the pier.
It was the first time I had ever watched a sailboat race, and at first I was a bit confused when they started going in opposite directions. They had a spectator tent and were showing a TV feed, so we went in a watched one race there. They showed a lot of graphics of the course map and the commentators explained some of the strategies, which helped make sense of it all.
picasa site

No comments:

Post a Comment