Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mt. Soledad

Last month we went for a picnic on Mt. Soledad, home of the most controversial cross in the country. (Well, one of the most controversial, at least). Mt. Soledad is a very small mountain (or a big hill) south of La Jolla, basically separating La Jolla from Pacific Beach. From the top of the mountain there's a nice view of the ocean beyond La Jolla beaches. In the other directions you can see over much of the San Diego area, including north to UCSD and south across Mission Bay and downtown.
In the middle of the little park at the top of the hill is the Mt. Soledad cross. It is part of a military memorial. However, since it was on federal land, the cross has been the source of endless legal wrangling about whether it is appropriate to have a religious symbol on government property. I believe the current solution has the land under the cross transferred to a private entity, but I'm sure the legal sparring will continue.
-Jason

I took some very nice pictures, but I can't seem to figure out where I saved them. If I ever find them, then I'll update the post and add them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete