Monday, June 10, 2013

J&C Plumbing

One night a few weeks ago we were driving home after I picked Chelsey up at her photography class. It was a little after 10 p.m. As we turned down our alley, we were frantically waved down by a woman outside the house on the corner. She said she had a water leak and needed help getting the water turned off. I went and parked the car while Chelsey tried to help. When I came back the woman was trying to get Chelsey to help her turn off the water from the street, using an access point in the alley. I don't think it is really meant for civilians to turn the water off and on, and so it wasn't working.
After abandoning that plan, Chelsey and I followed the woman inside the house. There was a young boy there, and the woman was videochatting with some people, possibly the home owners, via an iPad she was carrying around. The whole thing was a little hysterical. It turned out that the hot-water tap in the bathroom sink had snapped off, and water was shooting like a geyser up from the tap. It was hitting the bathroom ceiling and then spraying all over, creating a flood 2-3 inches deep out of the bathroom door and into the hallway.
Chelsey decided to run home and get a tube from our vacuum, then used the tube to direct the water into the bathtub where it could drain, thus alleviating the flooding situation. While she went home, I went poking about the house trying to find a main water valve or the hot water heater or something. I didn't find those, but I did look under the kitchen sink and find the valve on the pipes there. Thus, when Chelsey came back and got the geyser under control, I crawled under the sink and was able to shut off the water to the tap in question. Whoo! Crisis resolved. At least temporarily; obviously they were going to have to deal with the flooding and broken tap at some point. But I thought that seemed like a job for a professional plumber. Then again, maybe we should think about a career change...
-Jason

1 comment:

  1. A lesson EVERYONE should learn! Thank goodness you learned it in someone else's home. Every tap should have a "shut off" valve, and everyone in a household should know where the main water shut off valve is! Believe me, I've learned this from experience! Also, it's good to visibly mark the main shut off (ours is flagged with fluorescent tape, in case someone is looking after your house and needs to find it. Glad you could help out though - I'm sure it was appreciated. Aunty Alison

    ReplyDelete