Sunday, August 25, 2013

Camping and the Reagan Museum

Our anniversary celebration this year was a little camping getaway to Simi Valley, near Ventura northwest of Los Angeles. We didn't decide what we wanted to do until relatively late, so a lot of camping options were booked up by the time I was looking. I did find this one in Simi Valley that had room, though, so I grabbed it.
When we arrived, I thought maybe I saw why it was available so late. It wasn't a very luxurious campground, just a basic municipal one. Though it was big, there wasn't much to explore, as it was mostly just open dirt fields. To top it off, our campsite was maybe a stone's throw from the railway tracks. When a freight train rumbled by a few minutes after we got there, I was afraid we were going to be rattled awake all night.
Fortunately it turned out that the trains didn't run through the night, and although there wasn't much to our campground it turned out nicely. Since there weren't many people there it was pretty quiet and we could just sit and relax.
We did venture out one day to the nearby Reagan Presidential Museum, since there wasn't a lot of activity at the campground. It was an interesting museum, with a lot of information. It was a little heavy on the Reagan propaganda; unsurprising, I know, but by the end it was getting a little much. I still liked the history. The best part is definitely the retired Air Force One that's housed there. I was actually surprised at how small and cramped it felt; I guess I assumed it would be amazingly luxurious, without having taken into consideration that it would still be the size of an airplane. Granted, this was the Air Force One from the Nixon-Reagan years, so they've presumably upgraded. I also enjoyed the replica of Reagan's Oval Office. During construction he apparently made the contractors dig a hole so the office could be set deeper, allowing it to be the exact height of the original in Washington. Consequently you now have to head down a few stairs in order to see it.
There was also a Reagan portrait made entirely out of his favorite snack -- jelly beans.
-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment