Back in May Chelsey and I participated in the Chula Vista Community Fun Run at the Olympic Training Center. This was a good follow-up to my Carlsbad 5000 race, mostly because my library sponsored our entries. I also got my friend Chris in for free. He almost decided not to run because he was sick, but the free bib got him in. Good thing, too, as it turned out.
There were a lot of kids at this race, and as usual the kids went out fast. It probably didn't help that we started downhill. Around the mile mark Chris had moved into the lead, and I was coming up into second. I was pretty excited for this; probably too excited. Between that and the downhill start, I was flying! I thought I was going to crush my Carlsbad time. Unfortunately, I hadn't really thought about the hill waiting for me on the way back up to the finish. I blazed through 3km, but the last two were quite a turnaround, so my overall time was slower than Carlsbad. I also lost ground, dropping from second to fourth. Chris, however, held on for the comfortable win, so I guess it was a good decision to run.
Meanwhile, Chelsey was staying stronger on the hill than I did, as she passed people all the way to the finish. Despite not focusing as much on running, what with all her other sports, she was the seventh woman, which is pretty good, I thought.
The race was pretty low-key; the bib numbers weren't even assigned to specific people, which makes official results impossible. It's a nice event, though, and I liked running at the OTC. Next year I'll just try to remember the hill.
-Jason
No comments:
Post a Comment